Planning to Retire Soon!

If you are planning to retire in the Philippines soon, I suggest you visit several excellent websites on pro's and cons of retiring in the Philippines. However if you want to retire in the provinces, where life is simple, standard of living cheaper, less traffic congestion and pollution, availability of fresh seafood and vegetables compared to the big cities, my island province is the place for you! If this is your first time in my site, welcome. Some of the photos and videos on this site, I do not own. However, I have no intention on the infringement of your copyrights. The photo above is the front yard of Chateau Du Mer- Our Retirement Home in Boac, Marinduque, Philippines

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Battered Wife in Marinduque


Last month while interviewing for a caretaker for my wife, we decided on the second applicant that appeared to be soft-spoken and showed empathy on my wife’s illness. The first applicant did not show up and informed us she is scared of ghosts and Goblins she feels reside in our big compound. After a few days our new help informed us that she accepted as a live-in help, because she is scared that her husband will harm her if she does not leave him soon. She told us her life story of both physical and verbal abuse. Evidently, her husband is an alcoholic and jobless. We told her she will be employed until May when we return to the US and her husband do not follow her here in Amoingon. This incident reminded me that battered wives are not rare species in the Philippines. This is an experience that reminded me about two decades ago of rumors that two of my wife cousins were battered wives but were smart enough to leave their husbands before something bad could have happened. Today, my wives cousins appeared to be happy in their second marriages.

Please note that this is my 3rd article on battered wives and husbands that I have personally experienced both here in the Philippines and the United States.

Is the Philippine government( social services) and the Catholic church doing anything to alleviate this problem?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...